For a hog farm operation northwest of Winnipeg, who have a nucleus breeding herd for Topigs Norsvin and are currently producing their Tempo boar line, we are looking for Swine Technicians to join their team.
Reporting to the Farm Manager, the Swine Technician is responsible for the provision of quality care to all hogs housed in the facility, moving, shipping and receiving of the hogs to the facility, assist in the treatment of sick hogs and minor maintenance work as well as carrying out the day-to-day activities at the hog farm. Employees must possess an aptitude for the care and handling of animals, good communication skills and the ability to work as part of a highly productive team.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Feed and tend hogs according to feeding program
- Provide water for animals and perform routine maintenance on waterers
- Monitor and maintain proper ventilation and temperature using automated control system
- Identify sows/gilts in heat and cycling for optimum breeding results
- Perform or assist in performing breeding activities of farm animals
- Detect disease and health problems in livestock
- Operate a high-pressure washer and ensure cleanliness and sanitation standards for the unit are met
- Maintenance of unit – ensure that all aspects are completed including but not limited to repairs, garbage disposal, rodent control, check bins & boot cleaning, manure management
- Follow safe manure management procedures when cleaning out manure pits
- Follow food safety and security and animal bio-security procedures
- Maintain or assist in the maintenance of facilities and farm infrastructure including cleaning stables, barns, barnyards and pens.
- Any other farm duties as required
We require that you have some experience in the field to ensure proper handling of breeding stock, gilts, sows and boars. You must be able to communicate in the English language and willing to do rotational work during weekends and holidays.
It’s fulltime employment. Salary based on experience.
We thank you for your interest in working with us although only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.